Mesothelioma is a severe disease that is thinning out its roots everywhere in the world especially in United States of America. It is a lethal form of cancer that is dreaded across the globe. For though there is medication to handle the disease’s symptoms, a cure to mesothelioma is still missing.
Excess confrontation of asbestos is posited as the primary cause of mesothelioma.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that is used in insulation, clothing and fire-resistant materials. But its usage is often less significant than the disasters caused by it. For those who work with asbestos, breathe or inhale the infesting tiny asbestos particles that result in development of mesothelioma and other Asbestos Related Diseases (ARDs). Initially people were unaware of the damaging nature of these particles. It was discovered only lately through various tests such as X-Rays, MRI tests i.e. Magnetic Resonance Imagery and CAT scans or Computed Axial Tomography scans.
Mesothelioma’s very cause has become its bone of contention. This is because numerous asbestos workers and consumers who have been inflicted by this deadly disease claim that they were not intentionally forewarned of the perils of this material. Consequently lawsuits were and are till date filed on these companies. However, it is a myth to think that these court cases have driven many asbestos-manufacturing companies to bankruptcy. The facts reveal that many such companies have survived under the protection of Chapter 11 and that they have in turn used their insolvency to pay off their former debts and have reorganized themselves by it. But this is not the only myth associated with mesothelioma, there are countless others.
1. One universally known myth is that nothing can be done after a person is in the grip of mesothelioma. Though there is no cure for this unsympathetic form of cancer, some medicines can help with lifestyle quality and symptoms.
2. People commonly believe that working in mines and playing in piles where you are surrounded by asbestos and staying close to a person suffering from mesothelioma are the only factors responsible for its outbreak. But in reality, mesothelioma and any other ARD is not a communicable one and individuals who have never taken up any such tasks are even inflicted with it.
3. The next important thing hovering on people’s mind related to mesothelioma is smoking. Some believe that smoking invokes this disease. But the truth is that those who smoke and are exposed to asbestos perhaps involve the highest risk of being infected by mesothelioma. But there are innumerable patients of this ARD who have never smoked even a single cigarette throughout their lives.
4. Those who think that an exposure to asbestos will result in an instant exhibition of its symptoms are even wrong. According to medical science, the effects remain latent and unknown for 10-40 years.
5. Generally it is deemed that even a slight exposure to asbestos particles leads to mesothelioma. So if these fibres are detected in your house or office, they should be removed as soon as possible and all the materials that came in contact with it should be thoroughly cleansed. But this is not what is actually required. An improper hurried removal can be extremely hazardous since these particles easily get mixed in the surrounding air and cause damage. The best technique to ward off the threat of asbestos particles is to properly cover the affected area. Moreover, this task should not be taken up by any naïve individual. Only the skilled certified asbestos abatement professionals should be called to do this job.
6. A number of people are of the opinion that Chrysotile is a safe form of asbestos. But researches have shown that all forms of asbestos including the largely used Chrysotile are effective in causing Mesothelioma and other ARDs like lung cancer, asbestosis etc.